TOWN OF HOPEDALE
78 Hopedale Street - P.O. Box 7
Hopedale, Massachusetts 01747
Tel: 508-634-2203 ext. 212
Board of Water & Sewer Commissioners
Robert Bird, Chair
Hopedale Board of Water & Sewer Commissioners
Minutes of September 9, 2010
The Hopedale Board of Water & Sewer Commissioners met on September 9, 2010 in the Draper Room of the Town Hall. Members present were Chairperson Morin, Commissioner Bird and Commissioner Tarca.
Chairperson Morin made a motion to open the meeting at 7:00PM.
Minutes of the July 8th meeting – Commissioner Tarca made a motion to approve the minutes of July 8th, and made unanimous by Chairperson Morin.
- Town Clerk (signing of easements) – Town Clerk, Janet Jacaruso, was asked to attend meeting to sign easements for a ten foot wide construction easement for 117 and 119 Green St., the Kaberrys and the Cribbs.
Discussions & Correspondence
- NuWater Letter (Attorney Doneski suggestion) – Tim informed the Board that a letter was sent from Kopelman & Paige with suggestions on how we should handle the NuWater issue. Commissioner Bird agreed with Attorney Doneski that we should send a letter to NuWater along with a check for final payment of $60,097. Tim mentioned to the Board that he would like to ask the Attorney if we should go ahead and pay Tata & Howard at this time. Chairperson Morin feels we should hold off payment to Tata & Howard due to the current issue with the O&M manuals. Commissioner Bird disagreed with holding up payment to Tata & Howard. Commissioner Bird made a motion to follow advice of counsel to pay NuWater a final payment of $60,097, seconded by Commissioner Tarca and made unanimous by
- Milford Water Rate Increase – Tim has been unable to find what the increase to the Town of Hopedale will be. Tim has forwarded the information to Attorney Fabiano. Tim stated he will also speak to Milford’s Attorney Moody.
- Capital Improvement Grant Program – Tim informed the Board that he has a meeting the following morning at 10 A.M.. Tim stated there is grant money out there available and he would keep the Board informed.
- O&M Manuals – Sewer Plant – Tim contacted Tata & Howard trying to close out the administrative/consent orders. Tim stated that DEPs only issues were regarding the O&M manuals. Tata & Howard informed Tim that DEP had the manuals. Ning Chang from DEP informed Tim that she had it on her desk. She did state that Tata & Howard has not contacted them in a while. DEP seems to be getting annoyed with this, feeling the manuals are looking more and more like a clip and paste manual.
Tim got a list of 4 or 5 other companies that do O&M manuals from DEP and was shocked to hear prices for O&M manuals range in price from $30,000 to $110,000. Tim feels due to the high prices we do not have a choice but to stay with Tata & Howard to finish our manuals.
Commissioner Bird feels we should have Don Tata in to discuss this situation. Tim feels Mr. Tata should be made aware of our displeasure. Tim will ask Mr. Tata to attend our next meeting. Tim informed the Board that we’ve spent approximately 3 million dollars over the last 10 years with them. Tim will send the DEP letter to Mr. Tata regarding O&M manuals.
- Water Ban Update – Tim informed the Board that Milford is in a Phase IV water ban. He also informed the Board that our pumping stations are doing OK. Since we are purchasing water from Milford we need to mimic Milford’s ban. Commissioner Bird asked if it wasn’t for Milford where would Hopedale stand? Tim informed Commissioner Bird that Hopedale outside watering from 7 A.M. to 7 P.M..
- Raw Water Line Installation Update – Tim informed the Board that everything was on schedule. They are working in a wet area right now. He stated that the beginning went well, but are now at lowest point. He stated they are saving quite a bit of money by doing the paving themselves, but is a lot of hard work.
- Water Treatment Plant – Tim informed the Board that there are a lot of little issues. They are starting to put the roof on and the front knee wall is complete. Additional fill is needed. Tim stated that the contractors are stuck in the middle and communication hasn’t been too good. Tata & Howard feel there is sufficient fill so Winston Builders and Tata & Howard are going back and forth but seems it is taking a long time to resolve. It has been going on for 3 weeks and still not resolved.
- Personnel – Tim brought before the Board a longevity package for Water/Wastewater Management. Commissioner Bird felt it was a reasonable request and it’s been done for other departments. Commissioner Bird made a motion that we pass a longevity package as follows after 10 years, $1,000 with an additional $100 each year thereafter. After 20 years, $2,500 with an additional $150 each year thereafter. This was seconded by Commissioner Tarca and made unanimous by Chairperson Morin.
- Other topics not reasonably anticipated by Chairman within 48 hours - none
Managers Update (monthly activities) – Tim stated to the Board that he would like to thank his employees for all their hard work and overtime working on the Greene Street project. Chairperson Morin wanted to thank the Highway Department as well for helping out whenever needed.
Commissioner Bird made a motion to adjourn at 7:45 P.M., seconded by Commissioner Tarca and made unanimous by Chairperson Morin.
The Board signed the payables and commitments.
I attest to the best of my knowledge that this is a true and accurate recording of the minutes of September 9, 2010
Timothy Watson, Manager