Hopedale Board of Water & Sewer Commissioners
Minutes of February 11, 2010
The Hopedale Board of Water & Sewer Commissioners met on February 11, 2010 in the Draper Room of the Town Hall. Members present were Commissioner James Morin and Chairperson Bird.
Commissioner Morin made a motion to open the meeting at 6:00PM.
- Minutes of the January 14th meeting – Chairperson Bird made a motion to postpone approval of the January 14th minutes. Chairperson Bird was not present at the last meeting and Commissioner Tarca is not present for this meeting, made unanimous by Commissioner Morin.
- NuWater Demand Letter – Tim spoke to Attorney Doneski from Kopelman and Paige regarding NuWater. Tata & Howard sent a letter to NuWater stating what needs to be fixed regarding the Soda Ash system. NuWater responded saying Tata & Howard’s letter is false, the adjustments were made and they would be at the plant on the 11th to resolve any issues. Tim informed the Board that NuWater did not show.
B. New Source Update – Tim informed the Board that Winston Builders has cleared the land. They are hoping to mark out the building and start the foundation next week. Tim informed the Board that the pilot test has not yet been done yet. Tim is hoping to have the new easements from Kopelman & Paige signed for the next meeting.
- Rt. 16 Mendon Water Contract Review – Chairperson Bird asked that this be postponed until next meeting when Commissioner Tarca would be present, made unanimous by Commissioner Morin.
- Budgets FY 2011 – Tim informed the Board that the Water Department Pension number in the budget has increased quite a bit. Tim stated that for the most part everything has gone down. Purchased water has also gone down quite a bit. The Board was informed that the Town has decided to go with the GIC health care which will bring premiums down. Tim informed the Board that the Water Department will be replacing approximately 95 meters and installing radio read meters. He also let them know that he would be purchasing a new pick up truck. He does not want to put any more money into the old one. Tim will be auctioning off two other vehicles and will be purchasing a second truck next fiscal year. Tim informed the Board that he will not be issuing the check to
Winston Builders until we get a payment schedule. Chairperson Bird asked if the Board could meet again before meeting with the Finance Committee.
Regarding the Sewer Budget Tim informed the Board that he has increased overtime pay due to union rules. Capital Projects increased due to repairs that will be done on the jet truck. Sewer will have an overall decrease of 3%.
Discussions and Correspondents
- Draft Water Management Letter – Tim informed the Board that we do not want to get too involved until we get the permit. New rules coming out which could cost us thousands of dollars in mailings and notifications.
- Waste Water Upgrades – Tim let the Board know that there are new ammonia requirements but we are well below the limit. Tim informed the Board that copper is down.
- Water & Sewer Monthly Activities/Updates – Tim updated the Board that the Water Department is moving forward with changing meters. Tim stated that he has heard from John Schreiber and that he has recently had carpal tunnel surgery and will keep in touch with Tim on his anticipated date to return to work.
Commissioner Morin made a motion to adjourn at 6:15 P.M., with Chairperson Bird making it unanimous.
The Board signed the payables and commitments.
I attest to the best of my knowledge that this is a true and accurate recording of the minutes of February 11, 2010.
Timothy Watson, Manager