Hopedale Board of Water & Sewer Commissioners
Minutes of January 14, 2010
The Hopedale Board of Water & Sewer Commissioners met on January 14, 2010 in the Draper Room of the Town Hall. Members present were Commissioner James Morin and Commissioner Aldo Tarca. Commissioner Aldo Tarca made a motion to elect Commissioner James Morin as Chairperson for this meeting.
Chairperson Morin made a motion to open the meeting at 7:00PM.
- Minutes of the December 10th meeting – Commissioner Tarca made a motion to approve the minutes of December 10th and made unanimous by Chairperson Morin.
- Meg Mcelroy– Ms. Mcelroy came before the Board to question why she has three meters. Since she has three meters she receives three sewer assessment charges along with three $15 fees. Ms. Mcelroy stated that she knows of other multifamily homes in Hopedale that pay only one assessment and one $15 fee. Chairperson Morin asked why she can not pass on the water/wastewater bills to her tenants. She said due to the fact that her tenants have been there so long she can not pass it on to her tenants. Ms. Mcelroy would like only one meter. Tim along with the Board explain to Ms. Mcelroy that she will very quickly jump to a higher usage bracket, which she understands. She mentioned two other multifamilies that have only one meter, Stramas and Burns. Chairperson Morin stated he would
like to review the situation before he makes a judgement. Commissioner Tarca makes a motion to research Ms. Mcelroy’s situation before making a decision which is made unanimous by Chairperson Morin.
- Milford Sewer Commissioners – Milford Sewer Commissioners present were Chairperson Richard Cenedella, Commissioner Rudolph Lioce III and Commissioner Thomas Morelli. Also present was Superintendent John Manini.
Tim Watson mentioned to the Milford Board of Sewer that Commissioner Tarca mentioned that our contract states that Hopedale and Milford Boards should meet once a year to review contracts. Tim mentioned that we have no issues but the Board thought it might be an idea to consolidate contracts. Mr. Manini felt that sometimes it better to leave well enough alone. The Milford Board did say they would talk to Town Counsel, Attorney Moody. Our Board told Milford’s Board that some of these contracts date back to 1908. Milford will get back to us regarding the contracts after they speak with their Town Counsel.
C. Mr. Mathew Correa (10 Patrick Rd.) - Mr. Correa came before the Board looking for some relief on his October water/wastewater invoice. He explained to the Board that while he was away on vacation his sprinkler system leaked causing an much larger than normal invoice. Mr. Correa wanted to show good faith so he paid what his normal October invoices in the past have been. Commissioner Tarca stated that we’ve had issues with residents having leaks in the past and he is not in favor of giving abatements for leaks. Chairperson Morin explained that we bill for what flows through the meter. The Board explained to Mr. Correa that we would be opening a door if we started abating for leaks. Mr. Correa stated
that he understood and would pay the remainder of the invoice. The Board informed him to just pay the difference of the actual invoice and we would remove the interest since we cancelled a previous meeting that he was to attend.
- Tata & Howard Contract – Tim asked the Board to review and sign the contract between the Town of Hopedale and Tata & Howard regarding the Greene Street Water Treatment Facility. Commissioner Tarca made a motion that we accept the Tata & Howard contract, which was made unanimous by Chairperson Morin. The contract was signed.
- Budget Discussions FY 2011 – Tim informed the Board that there will be a Finance meeting on February 18th at 7:00. Tim is under the impression that the Schedule A is complete, but if we do not have our Retained Earnings number by then Tim will ask to reschedule the meeting to late February or early March. Tim explained to the Board that there is an excess of $30,000 at the Waste Water Treatment Plant, retainage we haven’t spent. Tim has spoken to Vinny Demeo and Ken Webb from the Wastewater Department to see if there are any capital needs projects that need to get done since this money can only be used towards upgrades, this is how it was voted at Town Meeting. Concerning the Water Department budget, Tim is looking to reduce Building Repairs and Maintenance and
increasing Constructions expenses. Construction will increase due to the fact that they will be doing main work all summer and the Highway Department has told Tim that he will need to repave the street curb to curb, not just trench work. Tim explained to the Board that he will have budgets ready for the next meeting for the Board’s review.
- NuWater Contract / Town Counsel – Tim informed the Board that Vinny Demeo, Jack O’Connell and himself made a punch list of ongoing issues and submitted it to town counsel for review so it can be sent to the contractor. Chairperson Morin is hoping Town Counsel will have something for our next meeting.
- New Source Construction Update – Tim informed the Board that Winston Builders had the land cleared and put in hay bales. Tim along with the contractors had a pre construction meeting and was given a schedule of events over the next 16 months. Tim said it was moving along nicely. In regards to pilot testing, a meeting will be held next Wednesday at Tata & Howard at 9:00 and DEP will be in attendance.
- Water & Sewer Monthly Activities/Updates – Tim updated the Board that all the meters have been read, collections are all done and the plant is looking good.
Chairperson Morin asked Tim about IFAS and Tim let the Board know that the IFAS system is working very well.
Commissioner Tarca made a motion to adjourn at 7:40 P.M., with Chairperson Morin making it unanimous.
The Board signed the payables and commitments.
I attest to the best of my knowledge that this is a true and accurate recording of the minutes of January 14, 2010.
Timothy Watson, Manager