BOARD OF SELECTMEN MINUTES OCTOBER 20, 2003
1. Chm. Mike Collins convened the meeting at 7:00 p.m. and immediately moved into the agenda. Present: M. Collins, M. Milanoski, A. Ryan, Selectmen; D. Keyes, Town Coordinator; S. Garland; J. Farrar; C. Boardman; L. Speroni, Videographer.
2. MSDV* to accept minutes of 9/22/03 regular and executive sessions.
3. After clarification of Section III, MSDV to accept Lt. Gardner's contract, effective 7/1/03 through 6/30/06.
4. Acceptance of the Call Firefighters' contract was put on hold per Chief Garland.
5. Chief Garland gave an update on the fire station renovations. (See Rick Lawrence's report for activity from 10/10/03 to 10/17/03.) Chief Garland explained that he has been catching up on change orders and that there have been delays in site work due to the contractor's failure to have the necessary excavation equipment. There was also discussion about choosing the brick color and ordering doors. The Chief assured the Selectmen that the department can operate through the winter with the old doors.
6. At 7:13 PM Chad Boardman of Eastland Excavation (developers of Harmony Estates) appeared before the Selectmen to discuss a drainage problem at the Greene St./Rockridge Rd. intersection. There is some question about who owns the road where improvements will be made; G & U Railroad wants the developer and the Town to pay them to update drainage within the railroad easement. Mr. Boardman has been researching the situation and will provide the Town with his findings later this week.
7. Sel. Ryan recommended that Health Agent Lenny Izzo or a representative attend the Pay- as-you-Throw workshops presented by the DEP.
8. Mr. Keyes informed the Selectmen that he will attend an MMA workshop on personnel issues.
9. Mr. Keyes also put out an invitation for residents to submit photographs of Hopedale for an MMA project.
10. The Town Coordinator gave an update on the search for new auditors. He reported that Powers and Sullivan have excellent references and proposed a three-year contract as requested. Upon his recommendation, MSDV to hire Powers and Sullivan.
11. Sel. Ryan informed the Board that he attended a meeting on 9/30/03 at which a Selectman from Sutton was elected to a regional transportation oversight board in conjunction with CMRPC and the state.
12. In his health insurance update, Mr. Keyes reported that the Fallon Senior plan will increase 37.9% in 2004. Additionally, due to astronomical cost increases, the Insurance Advisory Committee has been looking at the possibility of a 50/50 split.
13. MSDV to enter executive session per GLc. 39, §23B, at 7:40 PM to discuss personnel and pending litigation. RCV: M. Collins, Chm. - Aye, A. Ryan - Aye, M. Milanoski - Aye. It was noted that upon completion of their business the Board would close the session and adjourn the meeting.
Michael E. Collins, Chm.
Michael A. Milanoski
Alan J. Ryan
HOPEDALE BOARD OF SELECTMEN
*Moved, Seconded, Discussed and Voted. ** Roll Call Vote