BOARD OF SELECTMEN MINUTES AUGUST 18, 2003
1. Chm. Mike Collins convened the meeting at 7:00 p.m. and immediately moved into the agenda. Present: M. Collins, M. Milanoski, A. Ryan, Selectmen; D. Keyes, Town Coordinator; S. Garland; E. Costanza; L. Speroni; A. Maggiore, Videographer.
2. MSDV* to accept minutes of 7/21/03 continued hearing of 7/8/03 and 7/21/03 regular session.
3. MSDV to appoint Alan Ryan as Hopedale representative to CMRPC Metropolitan Planning Organization.
4. Police Chief Gene Costanza reported on 2 dispatchers who have completed the Reserve Intermittent Police Officer Academy. Sel. Milanoski questioned where the candidates reside and was informed that Patrick Evans lives in Hopedale and Steven Mehan resides in Medway. Upon Chief Costanza's recommendation, MSDV to appoint Patrick Evans and Steven Mehan as special police officers for the Town of Hopedale.
5. Fire Chief Scott Garland was unable to attend this meeting but provided a status report on the fire station renovations (copy attached). Sel. Milanoski requested a weekly list to be included in the Selectmen's packets.
6. Health Agent Lenny Izzo's written notice to the Selectmen regarding health risks due to the Town Hall conditions was discussed. Photographs of the water damaged plaster in the Town Clerk's office were viewed and it was agreed that repairs should commence. MSDV to approve spending no more than $1500 to remove mold and repair plaster in Town Clerk's office.
7. The proposed Town Meeting articles presented by the Planning Board were discussed. Mr. Keyes explained that Town Counsel reviewed the articles and approved them as to form. Sel. Ryan suggested that someone from the Planning Board be present at Town Meeting for discussion.
8. The Board of Selectmen unanimously supported the Treasurer/Collector's actions regarding delinquent FY02 real estate taxes.
9. The Selectmen were given a cash balance report produced by Christine Goodwin, Treasurer/Collector. This report will be provided monthly.
10. Ch. Collins reported on the proposed new Senior Center. Questions arose regarding the finance committee's involvement, parking and handicap accessibility. Mr. Keyes has done a walk-through of the building. Sel. Ryan discussed the importance of having a cafeteria available to senior citizens for affordable lunches. Ch. Collins would like Carole Mullen, COA Director, to come to a future meeting to discuss all possibilities.
11. Mr. Keyes presented the Selectmen with a proposal to upgrade copiers in the Town Hall and Police Department. MSDV to approve the proposal from Northeast Copier Systems to upgrade the copiers in the Coordinator's office, general office and Police Department.
12. Sel. Ryan read and spoke regarding the Blackstone Valley and CMRPC.
13. Sel. Ryan also read a letter from the Massachusetts Association of Conservation Commissions congratulating Jennifer Carlino for completing MACC's Advanced Certificate training program. This training "promotes sound, consistent decision-making and builds respect for Commission decisions."
14. MSDV to enter executive session per GLc. 39, §23B, at 7:35 PM to discuss IAFF/Town of Hopedale; Mark Carron; MCOP grievance; Lt. Gardner; and personnel issues. RCV: M. Collins, Chm. - Aye, A. Ryan - Aye, M. Milanoski - Aye. It was noted that upon completion of their business the Board would close the session and adjourn the meeting.
Michael E. Collins, Chm.
Michael A. Milanoski
Alan J. Ryan
HOPEDALE BOARD OF SELECTMEN
*Moved, Seconded, Discussed and Voted. ** Roll Call Vote