BOARD OF SELECTMEN MINUTES AUGUST 4, 2003
1. Chm. Mike Collins convened the meeting at 7:00 p.m. and immediately moved into the agenda. Present: M. Collins, M. Milanoski, A. Ryan, Selectmen; D. Keyes, Town Coordinator; S. Garland; R. Lawrence; E. Costanza; E. Holland, B. Delphos, C. Hughes, V. Potty, P. Johnson, J. Manning, C. Mullen, Council on Aging; J. Machacz; C. Speroni; H. Ohannesian; M. Tusino; M. Berger, Milford Daily News; A. Maggiore, Videographer.
2. MSDV* to accept minutes of 6/16/03 regular session.
3. MSDV to accept minutes of 7/7/03 regular session.
4. MSDV to accept minutes of 7/8/03 regular and executive sessions.
5. Carole Mullen, COA Director, introduced members of the Council on Aging who were present to discuss the possibilities of securing a building owned by Joseph Menfi for the expanded needs of the COA. Board members listed some of the functions currently hampered by their present location and were assured by Ch. Collins that their request would not fall through the cracks. Carole Mullen stated that they will exhaust all their efforts to obtain the necessary funds through grants. Ch. Collins promised that Mr. Menfi will be contacted to discuss the availability and specifications of the building.
6. A continuation of the Landing Strip Café's abutters hearing began at 7:20 PM. In response to the complaint about motorcycles at the 7/21/03 hearing, Jim Machacz stated that the only time they have motorcycles is on Sunday afternoons. Chief Costanza reported that the Landing Strip Café is a very good establishment. MSDV to grant approval of the Landing Strip Café's application to alter premises by adding an outdoor patio.
7. MSDV to enter executive session per GLc. 39, §23B at 7:25 PM at request of Gene Phillips, Assessor, to discuss property tax abatement applications. RCV**: M. Collins - Aye, M. Milanoski - Aye, A. Ryan - Aye. It was noted that, upon completion of their business, the Board would re-enter open session.
8. MSDV to go out of executive session at 7:35 PM. RCV: M. Collins - Aye, M. Milanoski - Aye, A. Ryan - Aye.
9. Chief Garland introduced Rick Lawrence to be considered for appointment as Clerk of the Works for the fire station renovation and addition project. Mr. Lawrence comes highly recommended by the Town of Upton. (Selectmen received Mr. Lawrence's resume in their 7/25/03 packets for review.) It was explained that the Clerk of the Works would go through the Town Coordinator with any concerns who would then bring them to the Board of Selectmen. Mr. Lawrence could be available in a few days and is willing to be flexible with his hours. MSDV to hire Rick Lawrence as Clerk of the Works through 12/31/03.
10. Chief Garland reported that there has been a change order/ new construction order regarding water in the building coming from the area of the back steps. Discussion followed about repairing the problem and the cost involved. It was decided to wait two weeks and look at the problem again.
11. Chief Costanza explained that Officer John Bossolt rescinded his resignation and is still working in Hopedale.
12. Town resident, Cynthia Speroni, appeared before the Board to complain about the rock blasting at Green Mill Estates. Ms. Speroni reported that she sees trucks leaving the site empty. The Selectmen and the Fire Chief concurred that there was an agreement with the developer for the rocks to be used on the site.
13. Chief Garland gave the following update on the fire station renovations and addition: The concrete foundation has been poured. The hazardous soil has been completely removed from the site. New utility poles should be in place by the end of August. Chief Garland commended the Water Department for doing a quick and efficient job of putting in the new water main. Interior walls have been studded and a new stairway constructed while maintaining the historical character. A new boiler was delivered last week. Draper Place now has 4 parking spaces back. The Chief will check with the Town Accountant for an update on finances. The ladder truck was parked outside last week but will be inside next week.
14. After conferring with Leo Lyons, Tree Warden, Mr. Keyes recommended awarding the tree service bid. MSDV to award the contract for tree services for the Town to Stumpy's Tree Service.
15. Mr. Keyes informed the Selectmen that he has met with Ronda Ohannesian to discuss coverage of the Town Clerk's office while she is on medical leave. Gene Phillips and Florence Anderson have been appointed as assistants and are duly authorized to perform the duties of the Town Clerk.
16. MSDV to enter executive session per GLc. 39, §23B, at 8:30 PM to discuss Lt. Gardner's contract and Fire Department personnel. RCV: M. Collins, Chm. - Aye, A. Ryan - Aye, M. Milanoski - Aye. It was noted that upon completion of their business the Board would close the session and adjourn the meeting.
Michael E. Collins, Chm.
Michael A. Milanoski
Alan J. Ryan
HOPEDALE BOARD OF SELECTMEN
*Moved, Seconded, Discussed and Voted. ** Roll Call Vote