BOARD OF SELECTMEN MINUTES MARCH 3, 2003
1. Chm. Mike Collins convened the meeting at 7:00 p.m. and immediately moved into the agenda. Present: M. Collins, M. Milanoski, A. Ryan, Selectmen; E. Costanza; C. Parella, Verizon; M. Basiner; A. Jacaruso; L. Binkowski; A. Maggiore, Videographer.
2. MSDV* to accept minutes of 1/21/03 regular and executive sessions.
3. MSDV to accept the minutes of the 2/3/03 executive session.
4. Eugene Costanza, Police Chief, announced the resignation of Officer Brett Poirier effective 3/17/03. Officer Poirier was hired in January, 2002, and will be going to the Town of Wellesley. In an effort to ease the burden on the department's overtime budget, Chief Costanza requested that the Board of Selectmen appoint dispatcher Lisa Collins as a special police officer for the period of March 10, 2003 to June 30, 2003. He also recommended appointment of Steven Mehan as a temporary full time dispatcher for the same time period. Both appointees have the necessary background and training to fulfill these temporary duties. MSDV to appoint Lisa Collins as a full time special police officer from 3/10/03 to 6/30/03. MSDV to appoint Steven Mehan as a full time dispatcher from
3/10/03 to 6/30/03. The Town Coordinator's office will send a letter of appreciation to Officer Poirier.
5. Andrew "Drew" Jacaruso appeared before the Selectmen to be considered for appointment as an alternate member of the Zoning Board of Appeals. Mr. Jacaruso has been a Hopedale resident since 1985 and has wanted to get involved in the community. His work schedule has recently allowed him the time to attend meetings. With his interest in the Town's growth and concern of space usage, he went to a ZBA meeting in December and was asked if he would be interested in serving. Sel. Ryan shared his concerns about the growth in Town and suggested that Mr. Jacaruso get involved in Chapter 40B issues. MSDV to appoint Andrew Jacaruso as an alternate member of the Zoning Board of Appeals.
6. Chm. Collins opened a public pole hearing at 7:15 p.m. for a joint telephone and electric company petition on South Main Street (Route 140). Chris Parella of Verizon explained the petition that is to place a Push Brace to Pole No. 20 and relocate Pole No. 22 approximately 15 feet north of the existing location. Both poles are south of the intersection with Plain Street. This work is part of a project impacting 20-30 poles along Rt. 140. With no further comments either for or against, the Chairman declared the hearing closed at 7:25 p.m. MSDV to approve the proposal for a joint push brace and pole relocation on S. Main Street as proposed by Chris Parella of Verizon.
7. Michael Basiner appeared before the Board for consideration of appointment to the Conservation Commission. Michael currently resides in Uxbridge but does work for the Hopedale Parks Department. He stated that he cares very much about the Town wetlands and wants justice for all life therein. Sel. Ryan spoke of the importance of the Conservation Commission's role in development in the Town. Sel. Milanoski mentioned that this is a time of rebuilding for the Commission. After thanking Mr. Basiner for coming forward to participate, MSDV to appoint Michael Basiner to the Conservation Commission.
8. Ch. Collins reported that the Fire Department has been authorized to receive $750 from the state for fire prevention programs. This is half of the entire award, with the remainder expected to be released in April. As a result of reduced grant capabilities, this award is more than $500 less than last year's award. The Fire Chief was commended for going after whatever opportunities are available.
9. Sel. Milanoski read a note of appreciation from Mrs. Helen Symonds to the Police Chief and Staff. Mrs. Symonds expressed her appreciation for the quick response, consideration and understanding of the personnel responding to an emergency call at her home last October.
10. The Selectmen commented on correspondence from Rep. Parente and Sen. Moore regarding state aid cuts. There are conflicting numbers coming from the state and much uncertainty about the actual figures. The Board also reviewed a list of recommended money saving measures. Sel. Ryan suggested that letters should be sent to Rep. Parente and Sen. Moore expressing the views of the Board. Sel. Milanoski questioned the figures on the cherry sheets indicating that Hopedale's Ch. 90 funds dropped from $50,000 for FY94-2001 to $12,000 in FY2002 to nothing in FY2003. Linda Binkowski will research and have information for next Selectmen's meeting.
11. The Town received certification of the vote of Town employees to form two units of a union with the Mass. Laborers' District Council. Unit A consists of 3 supervisory employees of the highway, water and sewer departments. Unit B consists of 12 full-time and regular part-time highway, water and sewer department employees and all full-time and regular part-time clerical employees of the Town, excluding supervisory, managerial, and confidential employees.
12. Sel. Ryan requested that a Kopelman & Paige Municipal Memo regarding Comprehensive Permits be forwarded to the Planning and Zoning Boards. He feels it is critical for these two boards to read the information especially in view of ch. 40B regulations. Sel. Ryan also suggested that Dan Keyes look into attending the I495/MetroWest Corridor Partnership meeting so that Hopedale's voice may be heard.
13. Ch. Collins reported that the Selectmen would be talking with Phil Shwachman and a representative of North Carolina factory outlets about usage of the Draper complex.
14. MSDV to enter executive session per GLc. 39, §23B, at 7:45 p.m. to discuss future use of the Police Chief's retired cruiser. RCV**: M. Collins, Chm. - Aye, A. Ryan - Aye, M. Milanoski - Aye. Present: M. Collins, A. Ryan, M. Milanoski, Selectmen; L. Binkowski, Town Coordinator's Secretary. It was noted that upon completion of their business the Board would close the session and adjourn the meeting.
Michael E. Collins, Chm.
Michael A. Milanoski
Alan J. Ryan
HOPEDALE BOARD OF SELECTMEN
*Moved, Seconded, Discussed and Voted. ** Roll Call Vote