Hopedale Historical Commission Minutes
September 10, 2007
Present: Merrily Sparling, Chair, William Gannett, Robert Hammond, Daniel Malloy, Frederick Oldfield III, Thomas McGovern. Not present: Alan Ryan, Theresa Ryan, Elaine Malloy.
Meeting began at 6:40 p.m.
Minutes from the June 11, 2007 meeting were read and discussed. Motion made to accept the minutes.
Little Red Shop
-Update on contract. Some part of the contract was not found in project manual. Merrily looked into it and it is all set.
-Blackstone Valley Tech students may be able to do some of the electrical work such as the rough wiring. Gene Phillips needs to contact them regarding this and the plumbing.
-Lenny Izzo can test the paint for lead. Need to look into what to do with the lead paint.
-Funding- Letters from Senator Moore's office, Jan DaSilva, and the Secretary of State.
-Sign was taken to Signs Plus. Once the wording is approved the sign will be made.
-Highway Department will dig holes. Dig Safe will be called first before sign is installed.
-Sealing the clapboards. Merrily will talk to architect regarding what kind of clapboards should be used.
-Windows- The Little Red Shop has been given a senior tax volunteer. Peter Johnson will be the person. He is interested in doing the sidewalks. Also interested in working on the floors which are pine.
-Doors also need to be worked on. Merrily know someone who may be able to do this.
-Someone wants to make a hand carved wooden sign for out front. Danny will check with Elaine.
South Hopedale District
Day in the Park will be this Saturday, September 15, 2007.
- Hayrides will be given by Iron Shoe Carriage Service.
- Tom McGovern's RV will be there as well as motorcycles.
- There will be items for sale also such as Little Red Shop prints, cup plates, cross stitch patterns of the Community House, and T-shirts for both adults and children.
- Day in the Park goes from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. We need staffing for Saturday.
- Blackstone Valley Heritage Homecoming Breakfast will be held on Friday, October 5, 2007 at the Hopedale Unitarian Parish. It begins at 8:30 a.m. and all are invited.
- Need to set up meeting to lay out the plan for the Little Red Shop Museum. On September 24, 2007 a meeting will be held with the Friends of Historic Hopedale.
- Next meeting for the Historical Commission will be Monday, October 15, 2007 at 6:30 p.m. at the Bancroft Memorial Library.
Meeting adjourned 7:20 p.m.
Frederick Oldfield III